Sunday, 26 February 2012

Vogue 1258 Vena Cava Dress




I purchased this pattern last year and as usual didn't do much with it.  My excitement tends to go as far as the purchase.  After reading a few reviews and seeing how fab everyone looked in it, I decided to cut it out.  That was a few months ago.  Yesterday morning I had some spare time so I decided to take it out and have a go.


I used a tribal style printed cotton lycra that I probably bought about 5 years ago.  Nice thick weight, I knew from other reviewers that the dress was quite clingy and I didn't want it too thin.  I didn't sew the shoulder flaps on straightaway because I wasn't convinced about them.  I attached them at the end.  







Overall, I have to say that I am really pleased with this dress, my first properly made dress in years.  I love the fit, the forgiving nature (it hides a tummy really well, so great for a dinner date!) and it was fairly easy to make.   


I really like how the fabric turned out, it even worked well with one of my favourite necklaces.   I didn't do any adjustments, I wear a UK 14 and cut a 16 and it was fine, possibly a little big but I don't like tight fitting garments.  I have some black snake print jersey that is just crying out for this pattern so I might be making that next.

16 comments:

  1. You did great. The dress looks wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really lovely!!! The fabric is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute. I am new to sewing and getting inspired. Keep it up! You didn't make the "wrap" part of the dress?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your version of this dress! I've not made it yet and you've really inspired me to add it to my sewing que. Congratulations on your first review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking dress on you. Fabric is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this dress.... The print is beautiful! I passed over the dress in the pattern catalog (though I do think it's great). I love your version...great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S...welcome back to your first love....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya, thank you for all yr lovely comments. @Jabs I did make the wrap part but didn't realise that I had tied the ties behind me until i saw the pics. I guess you can wear it either way; makes it more versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great looking dress! I really like how you accessorized too. Now that you've dipped your toe back in the pool, there's no turning back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that dress turned out great! I really like the way the print on the fabric looks with the front twist. Love those shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! Love the fabric choice, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thats beautiful ( Hi, im your newest follower)

    Houseofpinheiro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your lovely comments and a big hello and hugs to my new followers. I wore this to work yesterday and it was so comfy to wear, I definitely plan on making it in a few colours

    ReplyDelete
  14. So love the fabric you chose & very well sewn. Your dressing table is beautiful....love the Barcelona!

    ReplyDelete